10.21.2008

'Tis the season

to find ways to give back. As I have been trying to de-clutter some of our closets, I mean organize, I was shocked to find that lots of junk followed me to our house! My kitchen with all of it's glorious cabinets, has 4 junk drawers! YIKES!! In one of them, I found an old cell phone from ages ago.

Now, I'm trying to be a responsible citizen since having a kid so I: vote at each election (but especially this one!), recycle, am slowly switching to green products, bought energy efficient appliance (I LOVE those front loaders-- not that I can take credit for doing any laundry-- Love you Hubby!!) and looking for ways to donate my junk versus filling a landfill.

So, I have a couple of ideas. One is obviously the cell phone and October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Here are a couple of ways you can donate your old cell phone:

  1. National Coalition Against Domestic Violence: http://www.ncadv.org/takeaction/DonateaPhone_129.html This has a pre-paid mailing envelope you can print out for mailing. It doesn't get easier than that!

  2. Donate your spent battery here: http://aboutus.vzw.com/communityservice/hopeLineRecycling.html and your used phone to any Verizon Wireless retail store.

  3. Cell Phones for Soldiers http://www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com/shippingLabel_generic.html If you have AT&T it appears they will pay your postage for you. You can decrease your postage by not including the battery...which you can donate at Verizon Wireless see #2.

So which one am I going to do? Hmmm... I'm not sure so maybe I will need to find another cell phone lurking in a junk drawer.



No comments: